In 2016, the world population surpassed 7.3 billion, meaning the number of people on Earth has doubled in the past 45 years. Furthermore, there’s no end insight to this rapid growth. In fact, it has been calculated that the population is increasing by more than 140 people every minute.
This exploding population creates challenges from the perspectives of sustainability and urbanization:
- The world’s population is outgrowing the available natural resources. If, as predicted, the global population reaches 9.6 billion by 2050, we would, per United Nations figures, require the equivalent of almost three planets to provide the natural resources needed to sustain current lifestyles.
- Global population is migrating to urban areas, creating a strain on infrastructure. The United Nations predicts that by 2030, 60% of the world population will live in urban areas. In 2000, this number was only 47%. Nearly 180,000 people are added to the urban population each day.
These two facts alone suggest we must innovate to leverage our natural resources in a more sustainable way, and in many cases, do more with less.
IoT Revolutionizes Farming
In a recent story, SAP and Stara: IoT’s New Constellation of Stars, Judith Magyar explains how tractors can now leverage sensors to capture real-time data and optimize farm management and operations.
By leveraging data analytic capabilities, farmers can:
- Gain better insights to make more sound decisions
- Produce more high-quality crops per acre
- Support sustainable agricultural practices that respect the environment
This is just one example of how the Internet of Things (IoT) can help balance supply and demand for the world’s natural resources to help maximize production, reduce environmental impact, and remediate problems faster.
Check out this video to learn more about how IoT is revolutionizing the farming industry:
Argentina Modernizes Its Capital City with IoT
In another recent article, Buenos Aires Preserves Old Charm by Becoming a Smart City, Christine Donato explains how the Argentinian capital is leveraging IoT solutions to mitigate some of the challenges of a growing urban area.
- Managing and responding to the 30,000 complaints the city receives each month by leveraging real-time data and social media insight
- Reducing consumption and keeping the city illuminated and safe by converting 91,000 public street lights to modern LED technology, and using real-time insights to quickly address power outages, broken lights, and vandalism
- Automating maintenance on 1,400 kilometers of drainage pipes to execute cleaning and maintenance at maximum capacity and predict potential flooding
Check out this video to learn more about how Buenos Aires is illuminating the city in a more sustainable way:
These are just two examples of how organizations are leveraging IoT to change the world. For more on these stories and many others, attend the SAP Leonardo Live – IoT for Business event on July 11 and 12 in Frankfurt, Germany. Visit this website for additional details.
via SAP News Center http://ift.tt/2nMKs7p